A Transit Visa is not required if you remain in the transit zone of the airport in order to catch an onward or connecting flight within 24 hours of arrival. Transit visas are normally valid for maximum of 3 days if travelling by air and 10 if travelling by train.
Passengers travelling to and from Belarus and Kazakhstan via Russian Federation need to obtain the transit Russian visa irrespectively of their length of stay in the airport.
- Original passport, which must contain at least 2 blank pages visa pages, and which must be valid for a period of 6 months after the visa expires.
- Online application form completed on the website https://visa.kdmid.ru, printed and signed in person by the applicant.
- One recent photograph as per photo specifications below.
- A covering letter explaining the purpose as well as the routes of journey, dates of travel, as well as the photocopy of your confirmed ticket to and from Russia in case you are travelling by air/train/coach.
- When travelling by car a covering letter explaining the purpose as well as the routes of journey together with the photocopy of the car registration certificate, stating the details of the owner and the vehicle in case you are travelling by car. Transit visa would be issued based on the fastest journey to the destination. The average daily distance to be covered by car should not be less than 500 km.
- A valid visa (if required by that country) to the country you want to enter after leaving Russia. If visa is not required, any other official document confirming this fact.
- Insurance policy for the whole period of the stay in Russia. The policy document should show the name of the policy holder, validity for the duration of the journey as well as indicate the geographical area coverage as worldwide/including Russia, and cover medical expenses and repatriation. The insurance policy should contain a logo and a stamp of the insurance company along with a position and a signature of the insurer. If the policy document does not contain any logo, stamp or signature, the insurance should show the name and the contact details of the insurer. The insurance needs to be presented only by the citizens of the Schengen states, Iran, Israel and Ireland on the basis of reciprocity.
- a. Confirmation for continuous stay in Finland (residence permit, oleskelulupa) is required from the nationals of the following countries only: Algeria, Angola, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Georgia, Vietnam, Iran, Iraq, China, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Libya, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Rwanda, Syria, Somalia, Chad, Sri Lanka, Ethiopia. b. Confirmation of stay in Finland for more than 90 days from the following nationals: UK and Northern Ireland, Ireland, Denmark.
- Confirmation for continuous stay in Finland for a term over 90 days is required from the nationals of the following countries only: Albania, Bahrain, Venezuela, South Africa, Iran, China, Lesotho, Macedonia, Mali, Mexico, New Zealand, United Arab Emirates, UK and Nothern Ireland, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Sierra Leone, Equatorial Guinea, Haiti, Japan, Ireland, India, Denmark, Turkey, Australia.
Please note that it might be required to provide a permanent residence permit for some nationalities.
Please provide one recent photograph (not more than 6 months old) of yourself. The photographs should be:
- 3,5 x 4,5 cm taken against a light background (white or off-white) so that features are distinguishable and contrast against the background.
- Clear share quality and with the face in focus.
- Printed on normal photographic paper (camera print).
- Full face, non-smiling (without sunglasses, a hat/cap or other head covering, unless the applicant wears such items because of their religious belief or ethnic background).
- Please stick the Photograph on the Visa Application Form.Note: Please follow these instructions carefully. If photographs presented do not meet these requirements your application will be considered incomplete
Please note that while applying for a Russian visa you will be requested to leave your passport for the whole period of the application process.
Processing times vary from application to application and are at the sole discretion of the Russian Consulate.
- Normal applications submitted in Helsinki, Turku, Lappeenranta and Mariehamn will take minimum 5 working days to get processed.
- Single and Double Entry – 3 Working Days (only aim-tourism)
- For the citizens of Australia, Turkmenistan and Israel the visa processing time will take 10 to 15 calendar days (under normal circumstances) unless they have residence permit or long term work/student visa for the Finland for a term exceeding 90 days.
- For citizens of USA visa processing time will take from 7 to 10 calendar days depending on the visa category and visa duration. Please note that citizens of USA can apply for urgent processing of visa application only at the Embassy/Consulate/ Chancellery by prior appointment.
- For citizens of UK processing time will take not less than 10 working days.
- For EU citizens applying for single or double entry visa with invitation letter containing Individual Tax Number (ИНН) visa processing time is minimum of 5 working days.
- For EU citizens applying for multiple entries business or humanitarian visa with invitation letter containing Individual Tax Number (ИНН) visa processing time is minimum of 10 working days. Applicants should also have a single or double Russian visa in the last 1 year, without which they cannot apply for multiple entries.